We’re still in the run up to Christmas, but with the 25th looming fast, Feedback Local are looking into the rubbish and waste that comes with the festive season. In addition to the product packaging and gift wrap, the disposal of the tree is often something that is over looked.
What you need to know.
- Real trees are recyclable. – In most instances Christmas trees are considered green waste.
- Most local councils run specialist collections for Christmas trees
Click “MORE” for a list of local green waste disposal sites and further details of the recycling process.
How is it recycled?
Waste trees are usually chipped and reused as chippings in local parks or woodlands or used in green waste composting plants where they are converted into compost and sent to land.
Alternatively, if you have a composting heap and a garden shredder, adding a shredded Christmas tree to composting can help balance out nitrogen levels. This is especially useful if your compost heap is predominantly grass clippings.
Most artificial trees are difficult to recycle due to the materials they are made from. Instead of trying to dispose of the item why not offer them to friends, family or charity. Re-purposing and reusing these items are far more beneficial to the environment than braking them down for components.
List of Christmas tree disposal sites across Hampshire and the South East
- Aldershot – Ivy Road
- Alton – Omega Business Park Household Recycling Centre
- Andover – Scott Close Recycling Centre on Walworth Industrial Estate
- Basingstoke – Wade Road Household Recycling Centre
- Bishops Waltham – Claylands Road Household Recycling Centre
- Eastleigh – Woodside Avenue Household Recycling Centre
- Fareham – Segensworth Household Recycling Centre
- Farnborough – Eelmoor Road Household Recycling Centre
- Gosport – Grange Road Household Recycling Centre
- Havant – Harts Farm Way Household Recycling Centre
- Hayling island – Fishery Lane Household Recycling Centre
- Hedge End – Shamblehurst Lane Household Recycling Centre
- Hook – Springwell Lane Household Recycling Centre, Hartley Witney
- Isle of Wight – Afton Marsh Household Recycling Centre or Lynnbottom Household Recycling Centre
- Lymington – Milton Road Household Recycling Centre Efford
- Petersfield – Bedford Road Household Recycling Centre
- Portsmouth – Paulsgrove Portway Household Recycling Centre
- Ringwood – Verwood Road, Ringwood Forest Household Recycling Centre
- Romsey – Bunny Lane Household Recycling Centre at Timsbury
- Southampton – Marchwood Household Recycling Centre or Netley Household Recycling Centre on grange road
- Waterlooville – Old Park Farm, Household Recycling Centre
- Winchester – Bar End Industrial Estate, Household Recycling Centre
This isn’t a comprehensive list as many local and borough councils run smaller collections from specified points or recycling areas. Make sure that there I proper signage indicating a X mas tree drop off point as unlawful dumping of waste is considered fly tipping, and could incur a fine. Keep an eye out for any leaflets or public announcements in your local area, or contact your local council for further information.
If you would like to arrange the collection and disposal of a Christmas trees or other waste, from your home, office or any other location, use Feedback Local, and make a booking now.